October 16, 2013
How a Home Inspection Helps You
Whether you're considering buying a particular home, selling your current
property – or both – a home inspection can help.
A home inspection is an inspection by a qualified professional who takes a
close look at every aspect of a home – structure, wiring, plumbing, and
more – and identifies issues you may not have noticed yourself.
For example, a home inspection can reveal that a furnace will need to be
replaced soon, or that there is a water leak into the basement that needs to
You'll definitely want to get a professional home inspection before you buy a
particular property. That's why most offers to purchase a home are
conditional upon passing a home inspection. (The last thing you want is to
buy your dream home only to discover that the wiring needs to be updated!)
You may also want to get a home inspection on your own home before you
list it for sale. A certificate from a qualified professional that states that your
home passed inspection will make your property more attractive to buyers.
Many reputable home inspectors are members of a professional industry
• Canada Association of Home & Property Inspectors.
• Professional Home and Property Inspectors of Canada.
• National Home Inspectors Certification Council.
In the U.S.
• American Society of Home Inspectors. (http://www.ashi.org)
• National Association of Home Inspectors. (http://www.nahi.org)
• American Institute of Inspectors. (http://www.inspection.org)
It's important to note that certification or licensing is not a requirement in
many jurisdictions. So select a home inspector carefully.
Need to find a reputable home inspector? Call today.